Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spanakopita and Rhubard Icecream

Doing some trial runs for catering for a the eldest boys communion.  Not my idea, being an atheist and a Protestant one at that, but sometimes it's easier to go with the flow. Anyway, I'm happy to inflict my culinary meanderings on wider selection of guinea pigs, so trying to figure out how to feed the greatest number with least  effort or margin for error.
A couple things I learnt from a previous effort along these lines (youngest ones christening - oops, I'm not a very observant atheist) - garlic bread goes down a storm and the oven is the constraining resource. So anything that can be made the day before and served cold is a boon.
Coincidentally the ever reliable Domini Kemp has a spanakopita recipe, so I'll trial that.
The recipe is simple enough, 1 kg of defrosted spinach, which looks like this once you've squeezed the beejeezus out of it
Mix with one pack of feta, a sweated onion, fennel seeds and a handful of pine nuts I fortuitously have available
Domini calls for creme fraiche but I can't find any so substitute sour cream. To be honest cream varieties are not my strong point, I got some double cream earlier by mistake but that will be more appropriate for the dessert coming up.
Ms Kemp also suggests puff pastry, but I want old school with filo pastry. Never having used this before I'm a bit curious, so unwrapping it I find this
 I toy with the idea of making a layered roulade, but not finding anything comparable on the internet. Having been badly burnt by a misconceived spinach and fish bake (pictures thankfully lost, but burnt both literally and metaphorically) decide to follow the mainstream route and simply butter the three sheets together and wrap up the filling in each
nice and easy indeed.  Bake for 30 minutes
 and serve with baby potatoes slathered in the leftover butter
Very tasty, simple and eats well the following day.  But not a goer for party food because it is too messy and   has to be served in generous portions.  Though there may be mileage in making dim sum like individual portions.  Another days work, meanwhile another glut of rhubarb needs to be dealt with, and tarts gets a bit predictable so let's try an ice cream experiment.
Firstly poach the rhubarb in the juice of one orange, a bit of vanilla sugar and caster sugar

I don't have an ice cream maker so this won't be eaten tonight. Instead set a pyrex dish in the freezer for a few hours and let the rhubarb puree cool right down, then liquidize with some frozen strawberries which will further help to cool it down
whip half a litre of cream into soft peaks then fold together in a bowl which has also served time in the freezer
 hmm, a lot more than I intended, so a plastic dish is hurriedly pressed into service. Then it's back in the freezer and a good fork around every hour or when I can remember.  And unfortunately tragedy strikes later on when late at night one fork around too many and I drop the pyrex dish. Anyway, we'll find out how it eats  tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment